Saturday, May 2, 2009

Miss Manners

As of late, Bracie and I have been reading Miss Manners, also known as Judith Martin. We came across this brilliant quote:
Dear Miss Manners:
A while ago, a beautiful gal with her mom dropped a doughnut on the floor beside me as I was turning to walk out of a snack shop in a shopping mall. I have been puzzled about the meaning of that-if it was an accident, or if I missed the chance to meet her. How should I respond so that I don't miss the next opportunity like that?
The Response:
Gentle Reader:
If there is a standard flirtation maneuver called the Doughnut Ploy, Miss Manners is blessedly ignorant of it. Frankly, she does not think that was much of an opportunity you missed. A doughnut cannot be scooped up gracefully, like a dropped handkerchief, and presented to the lady with a deep, meaningful look and an ingratiating "Excuse me, but I believe this is yours."

7 COMMENTS:

Eärwen said...

Ooooh, I love that!!! =D

Princesswhatever said...

So you like randomness too?

Well, I once posted this random comment on someone's blog that said "I think your brother is hot. Can i date him?"

Then my friend was all: You know they can track you down?

And I'm like: Uh-oh

I now live my days in fear due to my randomness

Emily said...

I have a question for you Ophelia... how did you get the Legolas badge on your blog??

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Equus Delirus said...

Nice

The Reluctant Dragon said...

Emily: at the end of the quiz, I copied the html and then entered it into the blogger gizmo called java script or html code or something like that.

The Reluctant Dragon said...

Emily: at the end of the quiz, I copied the html and then entered it into the blogger gizmo called java script or html code or something like that.